October 06, 2002

1365 Words and Some Concerns

I'm into the writing of this and I'm starting to worry that there isn't enough death or thrills in this thriller. But it's hard to say. I mean, I started this project with the intention of having more depth to it than the standard thriller. I won't kid myself into thinking I'm writing a "literary thriller," but I did want a slower build, deeper characters, stronger relationships, etc. All that good stuff. But I'm nearly 100 pages into this puppy, and no one has been killed "on stage." Don't get me wrong, there is conflict in the story. The characters are struggling, slowly coming alive. But I'm worried that the "thrill" element is too lacking. I know it picks up later, but is it soon enough? It all looked so simple in the outline. But things change and look a lot different when you start composing the actual prose (i.e. today, I wrote a scene in a completely different viewpoint than I'd had planned). I think I'm just going to have to trust this though. Some of the best thrillers I've read had slow, intricate builds. Not slow as in boring, but I liken it to the climb on the first hill to a roller coaster. The longer it takes to get to the top the more you worry, the more time you have to think maybe this wasn't such a great idea, and (the best part) the higher the drop will be once you get over that hill.

I hope that's the case with this book. If not, I'm looking at a seriously ugly rewrite I don't even need to think about right now.