November 11, 2002

Easing Back In

Only 1053 words today on my first day back to the book since getting sick. I was a little rusty, but words were done. Now that I've started again, it'll be easier to keep going. Starting is always the hard part. Still haven't made up my word deficit from that big cut I did on the 6th. Soon though. And then I'll hit the half-way mark. Very cool. Let's hope for smooth sailing from then on. And maybe I can still finish this draft before I head home for the Holidays.

Reading News: Managed to get some reading done since I was laid up all weekend. Read S.L. Viehl's Shockball. Enjoyed it very much. Strangely, parts of it reminded me of Clan of the Cave Bear. (Don't laugh, Sheila.) After this installment of the Stardoc series, I was able to forgive some of Duncan Reever's seriously evil behavior in Endurance. He's lucky he's just a character in a novel, though. Sometimes I just want to deck the guy.

Also started (almost done) Jan Burke's Bones. This is a book in her Irene Kelly series, the one which happened to win her an Edgar award. Damn, this book is good. The first half of the book is so intense, you'll be gasping before you even reach the middle. And she's really good at creating characters you like so much you hate to see them get hurt. If you haven't read any of the other books in the series, don't worry, this one stands very well on its own. I've read a couple of the other Irene Kelly books, but now I'm going to have to go back and read them all. As if my TBR pile could stand getting much taller.

If you've noticed that all the books I tend to talk about here are books I like, it isn't because I like everything I read. I just see no point in wasting time bashing a book. I'm not a critic, I'm a book lover. Only critics and failed writers (often the same thing) have time to whine about books they didn't like. Here's a hint: If you don't like a book...stop reading it and pick up another one. The only person to blame for your reading a book you didn't like is you, not the author. So get a life already.

'Nuf said.