February 26, 2003

Merging, Slicing, Shaping

I'm getting into the revision flow. Made a ton of notes on how to merge several scenes in the beginning, tightening things up. Also shaped up some messy, messy first draft floundering, though I'm going to have a lot of work ahead of me when I start typing in the changes and writing new sceneage (my made-up word). But the story's tightening up. I can see it happening before my eyes and it's really cool. I'm not nearly as horrified with my writing as I thought I was going to be before I started the rewriting. Parts of it are messy, but I feel like I'm doing a good job of marshalling everything into some sort of order. And the changes I decided to make toward the second half of the first draft I'm glad for as now that I'm incorporating those changes into the beginning everything is pulling together more tightly, thickening the drama, etc.

I may actually have a damn good novel on my hands here.