September 04, 2002

About 1500 words today

Finished off another chunk of BN homework, which leaves me now to write the first scene of the novel. Probably start work on that this weekend. In the meantime, I've picked up that short story I started at the cabin and wrote another 1200 words on it. I'm still not sure it's all that great, but I'm not worried. I see it more as a literary experiment than anything else. I'm using a frame story (something I don't think I've ever done) with this piece. It's a little awkward, but if it comes out the way I envisioned, the story as a whole will be stronger with the frame. Without it the conflict becomes rather one dimensional. Can't have that!

Reading News: Only that I'm reading a book I was assigned in high school but never finished: Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities. Thoughts so far: I like it and should have read A Tale of Two Cities when assigned, though I probably wouldn't have appreciated Charles Dickens as much. Then again, I probably would have. I've just always had an aversion to someone telling me what to read. I much prefer to pick things up on my own, when I want to. I also imagine we would have ripped the thing apart instead of enjoying it, so...